Langauge

How would you read the following sign?


Based on the alphabet used in Kazakhstan, it's pronounced: AN-VAR.

In Kazakhstan, many of the letters in the alphabet are found in the English alphabet but are pronounced differently.

Imagine my surprise when I was told I would be in room D and saw that my door had this letter:



Most people in Kazakhstan speak Russian and Kazakh. The two languages look similar when written, but sound very differently. Here is the name of the city that hosted me, Aktobe, written in Kazakh.


In the cities, it is more common to hear Russian. In the villages, it is more common to hear Kazakh.

The president of Kazakhstan is encouraging the people of Kazakhstan to become trilingual by adding English to their common languages. Students in Kazakhstan learn English in school. Many items feature all three languages on them. Here is a picture of my soap and shampoo from the hotel with all three languages on them.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way the soap form and the shamoo. from: Abraham

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you wrote your blog. It was intresting. form viviana

    ReplyDelete